About Me

My photo
I am a Bridlington Town Councillor elected to represent Bridlington South Ward. The views and posts on this site are my personal views and are not those of Bridlington Town Council. If you become a member of this Blog I will expect you to adhere to posting comments that are not offensive or illegal.

Tuesday 30 October 2012

Being a "Corporate Parent"

When I was elected on to East Riding of Yorkshire Council I was not prepared for the variety of duties I would perform. Committees, Review Panels (4 to date) ,Boards, being a Chair a a Community Partnership and a Corporate Parent. Visiting Childrens' homes is one of the duties I perform; talking to staff and looked after children.  Attending events like today also allows me to engage with the young people in a positive way.  The event today was billed as How to Get a Job and Keep it - I can You can.  I had a  look at what was in store for us but was not prepared for the really inspiring speaker having never heard of him before. Richard McCann set the scene wonderfully and despite problems with the mic just kept going. As a fellow ginger I can remember feeling a little out of place in Leeds like him - carrot top to my friends until I learned to like my individuality. Events in his life were harrowing at times - hard to comprehend but delivered in a manner that made you want the next stage to go well.  His white tower I well remember (Leeds Uni or polytec as it was in my day). The Yorkshire Ripper murders and the beared Suttcliffe brought back memories of my Dad being interviewed and cleared (Irish name and blue landrover put him in the frame). Time spent in Germany and Berlin wall - I was there then too. His spiral into drugs and prison showed the young people how easy that can happen (no parallel for me there but grew up near Armley Jail). Oh and I did my OU Summer School at Durham University which he attended!  Finally his books, marriage and children made you feel that despite everything that life throws at you - YOU CAN.

One day that I felt was well spent and look forward to working on the ERYC Reducing Re-Offending Review Panel and speaking to Richard about the work he does in prisons.

My FB entry today
Interesting day as a Corporate Parent. Spending time with LAC and listening to http://www.richardmccann.co.uk/ he really did engage with adults and young people this morning. Looking forward to working with in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.